Friday, May 22, 2009

True Confessions Part 2




I posted my first True Confessions a couple of weeks ago and I felt so much better getting it off my chest, I thought maybe I should try it again.  
I like all kinds of music; if you have your audio on, you're probably getting a taste of it right now.  Now I'm ready to come out of the closet and admit that I'm a fan of






Yes...Barry Manilow.  There..I said it.  
I loved Manilow during his heyday in the 70's. I saw him live in concert numerous times, from Atlantic City and Madison Square Garden to Forest Hills and the Garden State Arts Center, always bringing at least one friend with me, not always accompanying me willingly.  As Barry's time on the charts slowly faded, my interest faded to.  My musical tastes changed, having discovered Springsteen which made me embrace rock and roll again.
Recently I discovered a very mellow station on Sirius which I tune in to when I read (another pastime that I'm trying to make some time for).  They occasionally play a Manilow song which brings back memories.  And I realize that I like him again!!  I just bought a Greatest Hits CD which keeps me company commuting to work.
I believe there are a lot of people who are afraid to admit they like Barry.  The tv show Family Guy had an episode where the guys admit to each other that they each were Manilow fans and go to a concert together.  So, come on, all you closet Mani-holics.  Don't be embarrassed.  Join me.  Stand up proudly and shout "I love Barry and I'm proud of it!"


5 comments:

  1. Oh Mandy! you came and you gave without taking......... Love that song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right! Loud and proud!

    Actually, I don't hate him, but I don't love him. But I can sure dance a mean Copacabana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved his song "Dancing with a Shadow," but not his version of it. He's pretty not too bad overall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely. The man is an icon. Are you going to Bruce tonight? Your Mets beat my boys last night, but we're going to get 'em tonight! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my God, Barry Manilow is all I wanted to hear after a bad breakup in college. He is still a trip down memory lane. But I guess I'd have to say I rarely brag about this.

    ReplyDelete