Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Money Pit



I enjoyed this film when it was first released, mainly because of Tom Hanks. Watching he and Shelley Long (whatever happened to her?) attempt to "improve" their home was fun, but do you know what I've discovered? It's not quite as much fun in real life.

Here's how it starts. The LSH & I agree that we need to replace ALL the windows, 12 in all, including two picture windows, plus a sliding glass door. We had some money left from a home equity loan we took out last year to replace the roof and there's a $1500 tax incentive to install energy efficient windows. We had a few contractors come over to give us their sales pitch and estimates. We picked our guy


and sat down to look at windows. After much discussion, we decided in some rooms to replace two windows with one larger and to move some windows. Well, here's where it begins. If we're doing all that, we may as well get all new siding. O-kay.

The day comes and the crew starts ripping off the old siding and what do they find??? Termites. Great. Now we need to get an exterminator in


Then, we needed to get an electrician in to move something or other; I forget what and why.


We left for vacation right in the middle of all this. We told the guys that we expected to find a bus in front of the house when we returned, so we could have that whole Extreme Makeover experience.


Unfortunately, it didn't quite happen that way. When we opened the door upon returning, I honestly just stood there, not prepared for what I was seeing.


I admit, they weren't done yet. The living room (where they had also repaired the cathedral ceiling) was torn apart, furniture draped in old sheets, dust EVERYWHERE, and my dog, lying in the middle of this, with a pile of dog s*** next to him, so happy to see us. AND, it was 1:45AM (as in the morning).

Now, I admit, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to all this home improving. I suppose if I was, I would have realized that, with all the changes we made regarding the size and placement of the windows, new sheetrock had to be installed and EVERY room now needs to be painted.

Ok, time for a deep breath. I can handle this. Just think how nice it will look when it's all done.


So, the next morning, I'm having my coffee, gazing out of my brand new large kitchen window when I thought I'd go online to see what we will need to submit when we file our taxes to take advantage of the $1500 tax credit. I find the site, detailing the eligibility requirements, one of which was that the windows have a "Solar Heat Gain Coefficient" of 0.30 or less. Sounds good. I mean, we bought Andersen windows and the installer said all Andersen windows qualify. I look up at the window, which still has all its stickers on and see a "SHGC" of 0.32. WTF?? I jump up and, like a crazy lady with PMS



I run to all the other windows to find the same thing. The LSH called the guy immediately, who expressed disbelief at what he was being told. He said the Andersen people had said that all their windows meet the government standards. It turns out that that was true.....until June, when the government changed the standards. So, right now, we still owe one more payment and, if this can't be sorted out, that payment is going to be minus $1500.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my god, you poor thing. But....I want to know about your sweet OES dog....who was taking care of him and they should be fired!

    Thank you for your warm words. I wish we were closer too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, what a nightmare! There should be some grandfather clause, or the contractor should have to know that crap!! Sooo sorry,
    We are getting a new septic put in soon; major bucks and no choice. I dread this type of crap happening....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't see the garage.. But so far, this site is cool. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is one thing that I want to know from here. It is very difficult to look for a money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for these posts. I enjoyed looking at those humorous pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I enjoyed watching all the crazy pictures in here. MY stress were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep on posting humorous pictures here. I am sure many will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's be very careful if we fix something. That's very important that is to sought safety first.

    ReplyDelete