Saturday, December 26, 2009

Tis The Season

A few posts back, I related a story about some diners in a Philadelphia restaurant picked up the tab for another table's meals and how it continued throughout the day. Well, I had an unexpected opportunity to do something similar the other day.
Thursday morning I stopped at the local Quik-Chek on my way to work to get a White Chocolate Mint cocoa. It's not something I do regularly, but, with the snow on the ground and the chill in the air, put me in the mood.
There was a man in line in front of me, buying a coffee and paper, paying with a credit or debit card. The cashier ran it through, but it came back declined. The guy started checking his pockets for cash, but came up empty. He started to head outside to see if he had any money in his car. I thought "oh, a perfect "Pay It Forward" opportunity" and told him I'd take care of it. Of course, he protested, saying it wasn't necessary. I said I knew that, but I wanted to and wished him a Merry Christmas.
It wasn't much, just a coffee and paper, but it was a good way to start the day. I highly recommend it.

4 comments:

  1. That is all it takes! Go to my Thursday post and click on the link. I think that you will be moved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I paid the toll for the TZB for the guy behind me. The shock on his face was extraordinary and the toll booth worker loved it as well. Smiles all around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the man hesitated to accept your help. He did not want to fuss you. But you were kind man because you wanted to help another person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a good person. At times like now are not a lot of good people who sincerely want to help. In my opinion, this man is still hesitant to accept help. Should have the man be willing to accept your help, maybe this could help reduce his burden. And maybe this person does not want to troublesome you.

    ReplyDelete