Sunday, September 6, 2009

Morro Castle Anniversary


I don't know if I'm in the minority in my interest with such things, although I don't think I am, considering the success of the film "Titanic," but there was another, lesser known cruise ship tragedy that occurred off the Jersey Shore coastline in the mid 30's. My local newspaper, the Asbury Park Press, is featuring a three day series on the story of the Morro Castle. For those who might find this interesting, here's the link.
I've always thought that people today were more selfish and eager to make a quick buck than those in the past, but, sadly, it appears, folks back in our parents and grandparents' times were not so different.

2 comments:

  1. I remember about that!!!!!! I remember reading about it in the Asbury Park Press when I was a kid!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mind boggling. The photo of the ship THAT close to the convention hall just blows my mind. How strange that more were not able to survive and what a shame for the reminder that humans can be so callous to one another in times of tragedy.

    ReplyDelete