Friday, January 1, 2010

Liar Liar


It's that time when we're supposed to, at least, THINK about making some positive changes in our lives. I've never been one to make New Year's resolutions, other than the typical lose 10 pounds or some such thing. But, this year, I've been doing some serious soul-searching and have identified a character flaw that I want to work on.

I'm a liar. No, I don't lie about things to other people. I lie to myself. I rationalize some things that I do and lie to myself about why I did it. I've already had an opportunity to address this issue just this week.

I was angry with the LSH about something that happened that he could have easily prevented. Now, I'm not apologizing for being pissed off at him; he admitted that it was his fault. But, I took that anger and used it to make a decision that affected other people. At the time, I told myself that I had legitimate reasons for this decision. But, I was lying to myself. I made the decision because I was mad at the LSH and wanted to punish him.

So, then the hard part came, admitting this to him. But, I swallowed my pride and confessed. And, guess what? The world didn't end. And, I felt much better.

So, that's my resolution. And I'm not lying.

1 comment: