Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Age Is Just A Number (Yeah, Right)





One thing I know for sure, whoever said "Age is just a number" was under 30. (Actually, it's a quote from Bernard Baruch and I think he was over 30 when he said it. But, for my purposes, we'll ignore that fact right now). I used to say this all the time and, for the most part, it worked. Until recently, when my body responded "Ya wanna bet?" and started reminding me every day just how old me and my body really are.
And I'm quite surprised how this aging process is affecting me. Let's just say, I'm not aging gracefully.
And the reminders that I'm older are everywhere. The first time I was called "m'aam" (by a cashier at the supermarket), I honestly thought she was joking. But, looking at her, I realized I AM a m'aam to her.
Yesterday, I had an appointment and was waiting in the outer room and picked up a People magazine, which at one time, was my bible, and I realized that I didn't know most of the people in the magazine. (It also made me think, why are some of these people famous? When did just showing up make you famous? Paris H, Perez H, Sheila Tequila? Nicole Ritchie (at least I know who her father is).
What scares me even more is that I'm sounding more & more like my parents sounded when I was young.
Over the summer, I was grocery shopping and passed two young teen boys packing out the shelf. One boy told the other that he really was getting into Joe Cocker. Well, I was flabbergasted. How did this kid get into one of the music icons of MY generation? The other boy asked him who Joe Cocker was. The boy's answer???
He's the guy who sings the theme song on "The Wonder Years." Ouch.
Watching American Idol last season which, believe it or not, was the first season I had ever watched it, they did a couple of weeks singing Beatles songs. I was totally amazed how most of them weren't familiar with any of the songs.
Do you know what baby boomers are? They're the generation that grew old, but never grew up. And, I guess that pretty much sums up the way I feel.
So, let me end with a little Maxine philosophy:

Ladies, don't think of it as a hot flash, think of it as a

POWER SURGE!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment