Saturday, November 1, 2008

Another Reason Why I Despise The Phils & Their Fans

I didn't hear it for myself as, no way in hell, would I watch the Phil's World Series celebration, but I understand Chase Utley let the "F" word fly when he was thanking the fans, knowing he was being broadcast on live TV. I believe he said "We're the World "F"ing Champs."
I am not a prude. I have heard this word; I have used this word. But, for an athlete to use this kind of language during a public appearance, is disgusting, to say the least.
But, what bothers me even more, were some of the comments I read from people who were there:

Fans at Citizens Bank Park generally were unfazed.

"They hear worse stuff in school," said Ivette Centeno, 44, of Northeast Philadelphia, there with her two children and two grandchildren.(uh did you catch that - 44 years old with 2 GRANDCHILDREN) "As a parent, we can explain that it was just excitement, and that we don't want them to say that."

Malik Muhammad, 29, of West Philadelphia, there with his daughter, Tia, 6, and Tia's mother, Tamika Taylor, 28, called the remark "surprising, but I can't say it disturbed us."

"It's understandable. It's an emotional time for him and for the city. We cheered him. We understood. . . . That's how much love we have for this team."

Perhaps the day's best line came from Steve Reinhardt, 17, an 11th grader from Atco, Camden County, at Citizens Bank Park with his brother, Dane, 12, and their father, Ray, 44, a printer.

"I thought it was awesome," Steve Reinhardt said. "It got the loudest applause of the day."


What the hell is going on in this world when parents aren't "disturbed" by this type of behavior in front of their children? And, for the record, I'm tired of people saying, because I have no kids of my own, that I have no right to criticize parents. Hey, I've never been President of the US; does that mean I have no right to criticize him?

How can anyone condone what he said? Oh, I forgot. They're Phillie fans. That explains alot.

1 comment: