Sunday, December 28, 2008

Que Sera, Sera



My brother called us on Christmas Eve Eve to wish us a Merry Christmas; we're seeing my family this Saturday. I don't remember why this came up but, suddenly he asks "You ARE having your party Memorial Day weekend?" Now, he & Joan have a lot of friends, but I didn't think their social calendar booked up so quickly. I let him know that it was WAY too early for me to even think about it.
I tend to live my life following the mantra of AA - One day at a time. Thinking much beyond tomorrow just doesn't work well for me; it usually just stresses me out. It doesn't matter whether the future holds something to look forward to, like a vacation or something not so great, like a colonoscopy.
Bobby Burns said "The best laid schemes o' mice an men, gang aft agley," or, if you're not from Scotland "the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray." Another interpretation is "When man makes plans, God laughs." Now, I admit, most of the plans I've made throughout my life have gone off as planned. But I've learned to try not to stress about things beyond my control. So, if I must make plans, I'll do it and move on.
The pretty lady above (10 points if you remember her; you'll also be giving your approximate age away) sang a song "Que Sera Sera" which pretty much sums up my outlook on life:

Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.

And, yes, Tom, we will probably have our annual Memorial Day party this year (God willing).

No comments:

Post a Comment