Thursday, February 5, 2009

Born Again American



I'm sure, like me, you receive emails from well-meaning friends and relatives, spouting some belief or promoting some cause, and, at the end, they ask you to forward this to 5, 10 or whatever people. I never forward them, whether I'm pro or con regarding the message being sent. I react to these like I do when someone, like the Jehovahs or a siding salesman, come knocking at my door uninvited.. I either don't answer the door or, if I do, I politely say that I'm not interested and close the door.
However, this week I received a link to a website that, at first glance, I assumed was going to be another of the same old same old . But, to my surprise, it caught my interest. I did some research and found that it was started by Norman Lear, a name familiar to those of us who watched tv in the 70's. He asked actor/singer/songwriter Keith Carradine, who also wrote an Academy Award winning song for the controversial 1975 film "Nashville", called "I'm Easy." to write a song called "Born Again American." The website shows a video of various Americans singing the song. Yes, some of you might think that it IS schmaltzy, but, to me, it puts into words how I'm feeling and I can bet, I'm not the only one. So, if you like it, please pass it on. If not, that's ok.
That's what freedom is all about.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know Keith Carradine wrote that song! I didn't even know he composed music - I've just enjoyed his acting all these years!

    Glad you posted the links to this - this is quite a concept. Be nice if it became a huge movement and those yoyos in Washington finally got a clue.

    ReplyDelete