Sunday, March 8, 2009

Back To Work


Today is my last day of medical leave so it's back to the rat race tomorrow. I know I should consider myself very fortunate to have a job to return to and I really am thankful for it. But, if truth be told, if I could afford it, I would definitely retire. I'm sure you read about the 10 co-workers who won the Mega Millions jackpot last week. I believe that each of them is going to receive about $10 million and they all claim that they aren't going to quit their jobs. Wow. Those must be some jobs. I think they all work in the IT department at Chubb Insurance. How much fun could that be?
Now, don't get me wrong. I have a strong work ethic and take pride in my work. But, honestly, at this point in my life, I'm tired. This isn't what I planned. How many people, say, over 40, can say they are where (and I don't mean geographically) they thought they would be - monetarily, career-wise, relationship-wise, etc? And that the road they took to get to this point is the one they planned on taking? Not me; not by a long shot. I still subscribe to the saying "Man makes plans while God laughs."
Anyway, it's been great to have the time to blog and get to meet/ know some of my blogging friends during this time off. I'm going to continue to blog, but probably not on a daily basis (aw, I know how disappointed you are). So, boys and girls, keep those cards and letters coming in!

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. I worked 29 years for the same company (finished college while working), worked in many different departments, met some very terriffic people, and not so terriffic people. But one day alittle over a year after my Father died, I quit. I hit "the corporate wall"- asked myself what was I doing, and I never looked back. I've never considered going back. I have decided to take a couple of years off to start to breathe again. I've cut back on my expenses, learned to live without alot of "stuff". You'd be surprised how much money is spent on misc. when you have the money in your wallet. However, I have NO regrets. If I didn't leave, I would have broken down. I had to save myself because no one there would have. Bottom line: we're all just cogs in the wheel, even the big guys; they fall down too.
    I didn't mean for this to be all about me.
    You have a group that is awaiting your arrival, has told you they miss you, and you are fortunate to have a job in today's economy. I was watching a news show this am, and they said 651,000 lost their jobs just in February. That is astounding! So, if you can hang in there, do it. Take it one day at a time, make the most of your nights and weekends w/the Mets, and take the paychecks. I think it's going to get worse before it gets better. I've enjoyed meeting another Jersey girl, and I'll keep checking your blog.
    Take Care of yourself!
    ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes going back to work, how I am supposed to leave flirtatious notes to a jersey girl? I myself could retire as well, technically I could retire in 11 years. It won't happen, plus I only work every third day...kind of nice. Anyhow I hope you keep coming back to blog, I enjoy reading your stuff....xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Kathy. I'm envious. Thankfully, I make a pretty good salary, so if I quit, we would really feel it. So, I'll head back to work and keep on buying those lottery tickets.

    ReplyDelete